Note: Grayson Reed’s final show as Billy in Billy Elliot the Musical (BETM) in Staunton, Virginia, presented by ShenanArts, was on March 18, 2018.
Debut: March 9, 2018 (Staunton, VA)
Total Performances as Billy: 6 (No partial shows)
In addition to performing, Grayson loves all aspects of theatre, including “behind-the-scenes” activities such as Lighting Design/Lights, Sound Board Operations, Set Build and the role of Stage Manager. Other interests include interacting with animals, public speaking and golf.
With regard to performance training, Grayson has taken instruction in:
- Dance: Private lessons in Tap, Ballet, Jazz with Cory Willis
- Voice: Private lessons with Samuel Johnson
- Acting/Musical Theatre: Presbury Theatrical Training Program at ShenanArts, Broadway Masterclass (with Keven Quillon), Theatre Workshops for Youth (Blue Ridge Community College)
Previous stage experience includes:
- At ShenanArts including:
- Disney’s Mulan Jr. (2011) — Ensemble
- Les Miserables (2013) — Gavroche
- Fiddler on the Roof (2013) — Ensemble
- Big Fish (2015) — Ensemble & Will’s Son
- Mary Poppins (2015) — Ensemble & u/s for Michael Banks
- Children of Eden (2017) — Young Cain/Snake/Storyteller
- Seussical (2017) — Wickersham Brother
2. Other Theatres:
- Our Town (2015 at University of Virginia) — Si Crowell
- The Secret Garden (2016 at Wayne Theatre) — Colin Craven
In November 2017, auditions were held for the roles of Billy and Michael for the ShenanArts production of BETM. That Grayson impressed the casting staff of the theatre goes without saying, as he was shortly thereafter offered the lead role. Though he didn’t have a lot of dance experience in theatrical productions, he had recently begun taking private dance lessons and was progressing well enough to show his potential in that area. The casting crew also knew Grayson’s previous work well, having often observed his acting and singing skills.
With his debut on 9-Mar-2018, Grayson becomes the 239th young actor in the world to portray Billy Elliot in a professional, community theatre or regional production of BETM since the very first in 2005.
For more information about Grayson Reed, visit: