Note: Dylan Loraw’s final show as Billy in Billy Elliot the Musical (BETM) in Philadelphia, PA, presented by Narberth Community Theatre, was on November 16, 2019.
Debut: November 1, 2019 (Philadelphia, PA)
Total Performances as Billy: 8 (No partial shows)
Dylan Jacob Loraw was 13 years old (d.o.b.= 16-Aug-2006) when he debuted as Billy in the Narberth Community Theatre production of BETM. His hometown is Hershey, PA.
Dylan attends school via the Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School (PALCS), which is a public cyber charter school approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, and open to all students in grades K–12 who reside in the state of Pennsylvania. He is also enrolled in The Center for Performing and Fine Arts in West Chester, PA, which is an audition-based program for students who are currently enrolled in PALCS. Students there experience a truly innovative, integrated arts education program.
Dylan’s performance training has included:
- Hip Hop (3 years) At the Lionville School of Dance and Hershey School of Dance
- Jazz (3 years) At CPFA, Lionville School of Dance and Hershey School of Dance
- Ballet/Lyrical (2 years) Lionville School of Dance
- Tap (2 years) CPFA and Lionville School of Dance
- (3 years) At CPFA and private lessons with Brigitte Rottman
In addition to the above performance training, Dylan has taken two years of instruction on the piano, with private lessons from Mrs. Carin Schrum and Mr. Joe Guaracino.
Prior Theatrical Experience
As can be seen from the list below, Dylan’s previous stage experience is extensive and includes:
Servant Stage Company, Lancaster, PA
- May, 2019 Jump, Jive, and JUKEBOX!
- September, 2018 Titanic the Musical (Jack Thayer/Ensemble)
- July, 2018 Into The Woods, Jr. (Jack)
- November/December, 2017 Old Time Gospel Radio Christmas
- May/June, 2017 The Civil War
In this video clip, provided by the Servant Stage Company, Dylan is featured as a vocalist and dancer in their production of Jump, Jive and JUKEBOX!
Sight & Sound, Lancaster, PA
- December, 2018 Miracle of Christmas (Nathan & Gideon)
- March-June 2018 Jesus (Young Jesus)
- March-October, 2017 Jonah (Young Jonah)
Other stage appearances include:
- August-September, 2019 Finding Neverland (Peter) Dutch Apple Dinner Theater – Lancaster, PA
- June, 2019 Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka (Augustus Gloop) SALT Performing Arts – Chester Springs, PA
- February, 2019 Les Misérables (Gavroche) SALT Performing Arts – Chester Springs, PA
- May, 2016 The Jungle Book (Mowgli) Harrisburg Performing Arts Center
In November-December, 2018, Dylan was also the featured child vocalist in The First Noel at the American Music Theater.
Often in the past Dylan has had the proverbial “several balls in the air” regarding juggling simultaneous performance projects. And the immediate future is no exception. In addition to BETM, Dylan is also currently in rehearsal for three Christmas shows:
- Miracle of Christmas (Sight & Sound Theatres)
- 2019 Christmas Show: Joy to the World (American Music Theatre)
- Wish: A Christmas Musical (Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre)
Film & TV Credits
Besides his onstage performances, Dylan also has several appearances in front of a camera. These include:
- Two Minutes to Prevent Child Abuse (Mission Kids Child Advocacy Center)
- Jesus A 2018 movie (Sight and Sound Theatre & Virgil Films and Entertainment)
- Who We Are A promotional short film (Piercing Word)
Billy Elliot The Musical
In June of 2019, while performing in the SALT Performing Arts production of Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka, the director of that show, Alicia Huffman, suggested that Dylan audition for BETM at the Narberth Community Theatre. He auditioned that same month and was asked to attend callbacks. However, while he was not able to attend the callbacks because of prior commitments, he did send Narberth’s creative staff four videos containing previous dancing and singing performances.
Dylan relates what happened after that, “Honestly, we figured we were out of the running for the role of Billy Elliot since we could not attend the call backs. We received a call from John (director John Cochrane, Jr.) late that night to let us know that they wanted me to be Billy. It was overwhelming to think that I was picked to be in such an iconic role. I am very appreciative for this opportunity.”
Rehearsals began on August 19th and 20th with two rehearsals with just Lauren McGinnis (choreographer), director Cochrane and Dylan. At those rehearsals they worked on the choreography for Angry Dance and Electricity. Dylan didn’t even meet the rest of the cast until the read-through on August 25th.
Rehearsals with the entire cast after that were every Sunday, Monday and Tuesday right up to the opening of the show on November 1st.
With his debut, Dylan becomes the 291st young actor to bring the role of Billy Elliot to life on stage in a professional, regional or community theatre production of the musical.
For more information about Dylan, visit:
Dylan’s Facebook Page, Dylan on Instagram, Dylan on LinkedIn
To the Narberth Community Theatre Main Page
To A Complete Listing of All BETM Articles